- Information provided by SHELDUS™
- Access to SHELDUS™
- Data Downloads from SHELDUS™
- Subscriptions (Aggregated Data)
- 1. The location of where the loss occurred: State, County, and FIPS code
- 2. The date when the loss occurred: begin and end date (day, month, year)
- 3. The type of loss experienced: property and crop damage, fatalities, and injuries
- 4. The type of hazard that triggered the loss: SHELDUS™ hazard category and remarks (description according to the original source)
- 5. Miscellaneous (where available): named major disaster, Presidential Disaster Declaration number (PDD), Global Disaster Identifier number (GLIDE) The above attributes are available for raw data downloads. Aggregated data will be reduced temporally (year, month, or quarter), spatially (county or state), or by hazard types (summed across all hazards or broken down into the SHELDUS™ hazard categories).
- Location and date: This is the most flexible way of searching SHELDUS™. It allows you to select your location (state/county), time period, and hazard type(s). You have the option to choose between raw data and aggregated data downloads. All South Carolina data are free of charge.
- Named event: The list of named major disasters in SHELDUS™ matches the National Climatic Data Center's Billion Dollar Disasters. A named event in SHELDUS™ can consist of hundreds of SHELDUS™ raw data records. We matched the type of hazard, location, and time period to create easy downloads for big disasters. Named events come as raw data downloads and are charged per record.
- Presidential Disaster Declaration (PDD): A PDD event can consist of hundreds of SHELDUS™ raw data records. We matched the type of hazard, location, and time period to create easy downloads by Presidential Disaster Declaration. PDDs come as raw data downloads and are charged per record. Please note that the PDD list is incomplete. For some PDDs, there are no reports from our data sources (NCDC, NCEI - formerly NGDC, USGS, etc.) and hence no records in our database to match the PDD.
- Global Disaster Identifier (GLIDE): A GLIDE event can consist of hundreds of SHELDUS™ raw data records. We matched the type of hazard, location, and time period to create easy downloads by GLIDE. GLIDEs come as raw data downloads and are charged per record.
- Aggregated SHELDUS™ data
Aggregated data are available through a subscription or pay-as-you-go. Data are aggregated by location (state or county), time (year, month, or quarter), and/or hazard type. All aggregations are user-defined. The download file contains information on how many records fed into each aggregation, i.e. the Records column will show how many raw data records were utilized to create the, for example, May 2005 total. Aggregation options can be changed easily and a preview will always appear before downloading the data. For pricing on subscription packages, please see Subscription Tiers.Pay-As-You-Go Pricing for Aggregated Outputs:
first 16,666 records 3 cents/record next 16,667-250,000 records 2 cents/record beyond 250,000 records 1.2 cents/record
- Raw SHELDUS™ data
Raw data are available on a pay-as-you-go basis only. A raw data record shows the losses associated with a specific event. The pricing for raw data varies. The default pricing for all registered SHELDUS™ users is Commercial. For changes to the default pricing please email cogeogSHELDUS™@mailbox.sc.edu.Raw Data Pricing
Education/Research 10 cents/record State/Local Governments 15 cents/records Federal Government 25 cents/records Commercial 50 cents/records
Subscriptions provide access to unlimited downloads of aggregated data. Subscriptions expire annually with a new version release of SHELDUS™.
Academic Use:The Academic subscription level is strictly for those persons studying, teaching, or undertaking research in at an institution of higher education. If you have a .edu email address and will be using SHELDUS™ as part of your work or studies this is the subscription for you.
|Research and Instruction||$500||$1,000|
|Annual Sales under $500,000||$3,000||$5,000|
|Annual Sales between $500,000 and $1 Million||$5,000||$8,000|
|Annual Sales over $1 Million||$8,000||$10,000|